Tuesday, October 20, 2015

I wrote on Twitter last week about writers rushing through their last chapters. I feel you should spend as much time, maybe more, on the last chapter as the first. You are cheating your readers, who have spent their valuable time reading your story.
As always, I can never squeeze my thoughts in such limited space on Twitter, so I continue on my FB and Blog..
We try to make the first several chapters perfect to entice readers to continue reading, but I have noticed that many of my favorite authors, even best sellers, sometimes leave me with an unsatisfactory feeling, like the book isn't quite finished.
I won't mention any names, but last week a finished reading the latest in a mystery series that I have followed for years. This author is on the best seller list every book, but I felt he was bored, or tired, of the story and just wanted to finish it.
This is a problem for writers I think. I know it is for me.I have reread and edited chapters so many time that I have it memorized, but if I take a break and do some plotting for a week I seem to get my fresh interest back. I'm doing the final editing of 'Evil Irish Lies' now and I can feel my mind drifting to the next story in the Meg and Janet Vacation Murder Mysteries. They'll be vacationing in France and I'm thinking about a title and book cover. See what I mean. Aye, I must stay in Ireland a little longer, , and then wee, I can go to France.

No comments:

Post a Comment